Preface: Alright before I begin I just want to say for the record that I had planned this post since a while back. It was the #2 vote getter from my reader’s choice list last week. I am not trying in any way to perpetuate this haters v. populars craziness. (I’ll get around to doing that tomorrow maybe)
Love me or hate me, there is no denying that I have achieved “popular status” here on xanga. (Although it can be debated how much of an achievement that actually is.) I have been on this site for over five years and I only just recently joined those ranks.
Being popular has it’s perks:
– I get a ton of feedback, which is always fun.
– I get to be a judge in a contest now and then.
– I get to rub elbows with the big dogs. (Dan the Theologian stopped by my xanga TV yesterday for five whole seconds. He even said, and I quote, “It’s an honor to be here.” I can die happy now!)
But as great as all that is, being popular is it also has it’s drawbacks:
– When mass message fads (like Happy Bday John) go into effect we have to spend half the day cleaning out our inboxes.
– We get to meet the most “interesting” people from the deepest recesses of xanga.
– We get labelled as arrogant, self centered jerks. This is only the case sometimes, like with me for instance.
A big reason why people think we are self centered is because of our commenting habits. If we even bother to leave you a comment, it is probably pretty crappy. Don’t take it personally. We do it to everybody. Let me show you a sampling of the type of comment a popular xangan will leave. See if you can recognize one of yours…